"Our Little Trooper"

"Our Little Trooper"
"Let me live, that I may praise you!" Psalm 119:175

Friday, October 19, 2018

Dusti & Rowan...continuing to leave their footprints on this world~for good


Rowan had the pleasure of befriending a sweet young girl, a little bit older than himself, many years ago.  Their older siblings played soccer together in two consecutive leagues over a period of 8+ years.  As they did, Dusti and Rowan cheered them on, sucked on oranges, and colored in coloring books on blankets on the sidelines.

Eventually their friendship spilled outside of the soccer field, and Rowan and Dusti started spending time together alone...mostly supporting each other in each of their various charity endeavors.  These two both had such big hearts for others from the start.

(Rowan attending Dusti's dance recital)


(Rowan dropping off dog and cat food and cleaning supplies to the animal shelter for Dusti's birthday fundraiser)

(Dusti coming to support Rowan during "The Rowan Jameson Windham Foundation Toughest Dog in Texas" charity dog run, supporting local children in the hospital.)

I could go on and on about what these two young people have each done for their community on their own, but another poignant part of their story is how much they affected each other, and how they continue to affect their community because they knew one another.



Don't get me wrong, this story isn't about Dusti carrying on Rowan's legacy, because they each actually had one of their own from the start.  Yes, their friendship, allowed them to join forces for many of those causes...but Dusti had her own very big heart already!

Since Rowan's death, Dusti has had to overcome insurmountable grief and stress, at such a young, formative age...but she has done so...

poignantly...

beautifully...

and I could not be prouder of her.

She lost her young friend.  She didn't just lose someone she played with, she lost someone she related to on such a beautiful level.  She lost someone who shared her vision for helping those around her.

But she is fighting to overcome that loss.

And she is succeeding.

Dusti's most recent charity event was called "Sippin for Shoes" and she organized a wine tasting event at Dry Comal Creek Winery in the Texas Hill Country (where people could come donate shoes for the less fortunate, and she could raise funds for this goal, through ticket sales, silent auction, and donations.)




It was a very rainy day, but that didn't stop anyone.

Dusti and I chatted for quite a while beforehand.  Oh how I love this girl.  She continues to grow into such a beautiful young lady...with so much spark and so much spunk.







As the main part of the event started, the sun came out, and I was asked to come present a few things to Dusti.


She and I were both quite overwhelmed.  
I think we both felt that Rowan should be there.  That it wasn't the same without him.
But we leaned into one another, cried, hugged, and got on with it.


I told Dusti how proud I was of her, and reassured her how proud Rowan surely was too.


Then I presented her with 14 pairs of shoes for her charity.

The first 3 pair were the hardest to verbalize the story behind...

These 3 pair of Vans were from the back door of Rowan's bedroom closet...tags on, he never had the chance to grow into them...


I held my breath as I went into his room and collected them from his closet, knowing that it was the right thing to do.  

We had bought them in advance.  He never lived to wear them.

Others needed shoes, but didn't have the money to buy them.

It all made sense...came full circle...

Rowan would be so proud, no...WAS so proud.

Then, I brought another very VERY special pair tennis shoes.


While Rowan was hospitalized during his 2 transplants in Seattle, Russell Wilson from the Seattle Sea Hawks gifted a brand new pair of Nike tennis shoes to EACH child in the hospital at the time.  Yes, you heard me...EACH child!

Rowan was in ICU on dialysis, much too ill to receive the shoes, but Child Life had asked me to come get some in his size that day.  I did.  I even passed Russel Wilson during his live feed, in the elevator, on my way back to Rowan's room.  I thanked him, with tears in my eyes...knowing at that moment that Rowan might never even know he received these shoes, let alone wear them...but still I thanked him.

Rowan did get well enough to at least open the shoes, and to record a thank you video for Russell Wilson.  He never got out of bed again though, never walked again. never wore them.  They have been sitting in the same shoe box in his bedroom at home in Texas, since... since, he died.


I couldn't think of a better reason to pass them on.

Rowan would want them to be a part of Dusti's shoe fundraiser...no doubt.

I also went to Macy's and bought 10 pair of shoes for girls and boys, of all ages, infant through middle school.



I presented Dusti with these 14 pair of shoes...



and of course we both cried...


but I think they were tears of joy too.

I also gave her a precious stuffed dog with Rowan's name on it.  It was one that a friend of mine had gifted Rowan.  He loved it so.  But it has sat in his bedroom, lonely, in the dark, for well over a year.  Who better to own it now than his sweet friend who volunteers at the shelter, who helped him with the dog run, etc.  It just made sense.



I had to leave the event early, but heard later how successful it was overall.

So proud of the work you are doing Dusti!

Ironically, or not, the event location happened to be less than 4 miles from Rowan's resting place.  Before heading to the event, I stopped by to sit at Rowan's grave and talk to him.  I also went back again after I left Dusti's event.

The Iron Man that has laid next to Rowan's gravesite for well over a year, was actually laid there by Dusti herself.  I wipe it down and replace it every week when I clean up his site.



This was my view as I finally left the event, and the cemetery, to drive home, after it all...



A rainbow...

of course...

How fitting.


I love you Dusti.
I am so proud of you...


and I know that Rowan is too...


Never forget what you told me when we talked about Rowan's life message: Love your Life!

"I know, that's why I'm going to be ok,
I'm always going to be ok."


Yes, Dusti, Yes, you are!












No comments:

Post a Comment