"Our Little Trooper"

"Our Little Trooper"
"Let me live, that I may praise you!" Psalm 119:175

Saturday, October 6, 2018

Charlotte, "Because I knew you, I have been changed for the good." ~Wicked 2018 @ Majestic Theater


This smile...on this girl... makes my heart skip a beat.


I had the distinct honor and pleasure of surprising Ms. Charlotte, my best little friend, with a special date today.  I took her to see her first Broadway performance at the Majestic Theater (one of Rowan's bucket list items).  We went to see Wicked...
and it was awesome!



 


As soon as we started to walk up to the theater Charlotte said "It's so fancy!  Either everyone is over-dressed, or I didn't know it would be this fancy. Am I dressed okay?"  

I of course told her she was dressed perfectly.




I told her that one of Zoe's Highschool classmates was actually in this play, and she made sure to find his name on the cast board.  Congratulations on your success Andy!




The stage was amazing!
Charlotte was blown away.
The last time I was in a theater with her was when I took her and Rowan to see Charlotte's Web at the Magik Theater.  They LOVED that so much...but this theater, she was in pure awe...





She even looked up and said "Is that where like Kings and Queens sit? Wow!"




I obviously did not take any photos during the show, but she sat wide eyed and amazed for 3+ hours (with a quick intermission of course for a restroom break:)  She told me thank you so many times.

Then she clapped fiercely and cheered loudlyfor the cast during final bows, standing on her tippy toes so she could see them all.




It was so rewarding to experience this with her.
Zoe and I saw Wicked there at the Magestic Theater many years ago as well, so it brought back a lot of memories.





Glinda and Elphaba!

Charlotte loved how "pun-ny" they were:)



After the show Charlotte and I walked across the street and had dinner at a hotel bistro on the streets of San Antonio, and the fun continued...
 
 



She decided that she should drink her water "more fancy-like" since it was in a fancy wine glass.  (This was such a Rowan thing to do too:)

 



Charlotte thoroughly enjoyed her pepperoni pizza and fresh berries, and even noted: "wow, flat bread, so my pizza is fancy too."


My absolute favorite part of the night was this though... a pinky promise that Charlotte and I made...and if you know anything at all, you know that pinky promises should never be broken (per Rowan).

I asked Charlotte if she would like to go to another show sometime? And she said "YES!". I told her that I would take her every year that I could possibly do so, for the rest of my life if she wanted to.  She nodded yes but then started laughing and said "Something tells me you won't be able to bring me to the theater when you're 99 though." So I said, "Well, then you'll bring me!"  She laughed and laughed.  We both did, almost until we cried.  


Then we made a pinky promise.  We agreed, that I would take her until I couldn't anymore, and then she would start taking me.

(*side note: Charlotte guesses that I will be able to take her until I'm 90 (which is in 43 years).  She figured out herself that she will be 53 years old then (she's 10 now).  I told her we might need to be flexible on that, because she might need to start taking me sooner, and she said "Ok, sure, whenever you need me to, it'll be my turn.")

Deal sweetheart.  Deal.

Pinky promise.


After dinner we skipped, laughed, and took selfies the whole way back to the parking garage.



 



Once back at the car, she thanked me again, and apologized if she was underdressed.  I told her to stop apologizing, but then promptly apologized if I sang "Defying Gravity" the whole way home.  She said "that's okay, go ahead."

I love you my sweet, sweet Charlotte.  

I really miss taking you and Rowan on adventures together, but I still thank God every day for every moment I get to spend time with you.  

You remind me so much of him.  You were two peas in a pod.  Your sense of humor, your flair for the dramatic, your laugh, the way you both know/knew when I was about to cry...the way your smile makes me take pause, brings me joy, changes me...


"I've heard it said 
that people come into our lives for a reason
bringing something we must learn
And we are led
to those who help us most to grow
if we let them
and we help them in return...
...
Because I knew you, I have been changed for the good."

Glinda



Can't wait for our next "Broadway play-date" Charlotte, and for the 43-52+ more after that:)

;) pinky promise





1 comment:

  1. Stunning and heartwarming. God bless you two treasures.

    ReplyDelete