"Our Little Trooper"

"Our Little Trooper"
"Let me live, that I may praise you!" Psalm 119:175

Thursday, October 1, 2015

"I can still help Mommy. It'll mean more to her that way."

A lot of you know about our friends the Pattersons.  Little Chrissie Patterson is one of Rowan's angel friends in heaven, who passed away when she was 4 years old and Rowan was just 3.  Lorraine, Chrissie's mommy, has just recently discovered a very serious health issue of her own, and has been traveling to MD Anderson for diagnosis and a treatment plan.  Chrissie's legacy was the "Boss Your Heart" message that has now turned into a foundation assisting orphan adoptions around the world.  My daughter Zoe designed the Boss Your Heart logo after Chrissie passed away, and it has adorned thousands of t-shirts since then.  To comfort Lorraine during her blood draws, multiple doctor appointments and ongoing treatments, we decided to make a quilt...a quilt made from a bunch of the different Boss Your Heart shirts.  Lorraine told me that a friend told her to "Boss" her blood, just like Chrissie bossed her heart.  What better reminder than a blanket that she can wrap her self up in, remembering the strength of her sweet angel.



Rowan has been wanting to learn how to sew.  For years he has watched me make other quilts, sew costumes for productions at NESA, dresses for Zoe, etc.  When I started planning Lorraine's quilt he immediately asked, "Can this be the one I learn on? Please!"  I told him that I thought that was a wonderful idea.  So, over the past week and a half (before we came into the hospital) I started teaching Rowan the different parts of the sewing machine, and how to operate it, as well as gave him lessons in the art of quilting.  He loved it!  He asked me so many questions, and could not wait to get started.  He told me, "This will be so special to Lorraine, especially if I help make it."

Here he is working the sewing machine all by himself, sewing squares of the quilt together with me last week.





(his favorite part of course was working the pedal:)





Here he is last weekend helping me layer all three layers of the quilt (the quilt top, the batting and the backing), lining them up perfectly.






I planned on teaching him how to do the hand quilting during clinic this past Tuesday, so that he could help me finish the quilt in the next week, so we could give it to Lorraine before Chrissie's birthday on October 8th.  Instead, we ended up in the hospital.  Rowan has been sleeping a lot here, so I got it out and was going to get started myself today.  However, Rowan woke up this evening, saw the quilt out and said, "I can still help Mommy.  It'll mean more to her that way."  

So, despite battling an E. Coli infection in his bloodstream, fighting fevers, headaches, etc.  Tonight, Rowan learned how to hand quilt.  He was only able to work on it for about 5 minutes, before his headache got the best of him, but it was such a beautiful, selfless, inspiring 5 minutes.  And I'm pretty sure he will want to help some more tomorrow.  And I am positive that he is right...it will mean more to her this way.






We love you Lorraine.  We hope you like the quilt when we finish.  We can't wait to give it to you when we do.  You can rest assured that Chrissie's spirit, and Rowan's love will be in every stitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment