"Our Little Trooper"

"Our Little Trooper"
"Let me live, that I may praise you!" Psalm 119:175

Sunday, August 18, 2019

Turns out I CAN go back to the zoo...



Today was the first time that I have been back to the San Antonio Zoo in 3 years, my first time without Rowan.  I'm not sure I would have ever gone back, except for Lily.  Lily is my adorable God-daughter.  She had her Daddy buy me a zoo pass for my birthday last month.  Today I met her, her Mommy and Daddy, and her brother Jake there.  I was really nervous that it would be too much for me emotionally.  Rowan loved the zoo so much.  It was one of his favorite places.  I wore my necklace with his picture on it, but I should have know that he would show me he was there with me in other ways too... I should have known.


As soon as I walked through the gate and had my pass scanned, a blue dragonfly buzzed past me and landed on the fence.  You might have to zoom in, but you should be able to see it on the middle post here.


I had so much fun watching Lily and Jake run from exhibit to exhibit.  








Jake promised to protect me from snakes, and he wanted to lead the way.  Lily held my hand as we walked.  


The hippos were Rowan's favorite, so I especially enjoyed sharing them with Lily and Jake.






When the kids went into the petting zoo area, to brush the goats and pigs, I stayed back and sat on a bench.  I wanted a moment to take it all in.  As I sat there reminiscing about all the times I had taken Rowan to the zoo, I suddenly noticed something...


...yep, someone was holding their child's "green frog" wubby…just like the one Rowan had for ten years (don't worry, we cut the pacifier off after the first couple years).  If you ever cared for Rowan in the hospital, any hospital, then you knew "green frog".  Rowan was buried with "Green Frog Jr." and I still have his original "Green Frog" with me.  It brought tears to my eyes instantly.  I knew it was another sign that Rowan was with me.

Thank you Lily and Jake.  Lily for holding my hand.  Jake for leading the way and protecting me.  And thank you Kristi & James for my zoo pass.  Turns out I CAN go back to the zoo...and I look forward to doing so with y'all again soon.





No comments:

Post a Comment