"Our Little Trooper"

"Our Little Trooper"
"Let me live, that I may praise you!" Psalm 119:175

Saturday, June 22, 2019

"Dragonflies and lemonade..."


Let me start by saying that Rowan had a lot of special things in his life... many things that are so very difficult to part with, because they hold such dear memories.  I can't just bring myself to donate the entirety of his room to Goodwill, or to hold a random garage sale...it just doesn't feel right.  I feel better about gifting items of his, as I feel led to, to either people who need the specific items, or to his special friends.  Christa received one of his favorite stuffed hippos, a painting she had made him and a couple other items, Khale received his medical chair/stroller, Sam got his bongos and his Minecraft book, Roman received his bike and helmet, etc. 

About 2 months ago, we needed to get a new fridge.  As I helped wheel the old one out to the garage, to await delivery of the new one, the men placed it in the corner of the garage.  It just so happened to be placed next to Rowan's lemonade stand...the one he and his siblings used to raise tens of thousands of dollars for Kidd's Kids over several years, prior to Rowan's death.  As I glanced up at it, my eyes filled with tears.  I ran my hand over the painted yellow and white wood, and I instantly pictured little Rowan standing behind the stand, with his red hair and bright blue eyes, serving his special "ginger lemonade".  I looked up at the top of the stand, at the sign on top, the one Zoe had hand painted while Rowan was in the hospital when he was just 6 or 7.  At first, in my head, I read it as "Lennon-aid" instead of "Lemonade".  Then I smiled, and thought to myself, "awwwww, Lennon".  Then it came to me...in that instant...Rowan was telling me to gift his lemonade stand to Lennon's family.  I closed my eyes, cried, and said "okay Rowan".  Honestly, it was not something I thought I would be able to give away anytime soon, but I was listening to my heart, to Rowan, and to God.  I trusted them all...it was time.  There was still life in it...still good to be made from behind it.

I talked to Zoe and Iris and we decided that maybe it should be "freshened up" or modified a little bit, so that it was ready for their family, and instantly we all 3 knew what we needed to do to it.  Over the next few weeks, we did just that...we prepared Rowan's lemonade stand for Lennon's family.  I messaged her Mommy, Marci and asked if it was something she would want...she confirmed that it was indeed something they would be honored to have.  I asked if her girls could use it to continue their late sister Lennon's legacy and be able to raise money for her memorial charity "Lennon-aid".  She said "definitely".  Iris drew their Lennon-aid logo and I hand-painted it.  I decoupaged photos of Lennon and Rowan on little wood plaques, so these angels' beautiful faces could forever be emblazoned on the stand.  Iris and I painted and added dragonflies to the sides of the stand because dragonflies are an important symbol and sign in the Walther families life since Lennon passed.










The stand was ready for them in time for Lennon's angel-versary this month, on June 1st, but Marci and I could not align our schedules in time...instead it was God's timing.  I dropped the lemonade stand off this past Thursday, early, early, in the morning before they had even woken up.  I placed all the pieces, and the bag of Rowan's left over supplies, near their garage and left it with a card.


Shortly afterwards, Marci started texting me.  She was up, had seen it and was in tears...happy tears.  I asked her to send me pictures of the girls once they were awake and had seen it too.  A few hours later, she did.  She sent me pictures and video.


(Just look at these precious faces!!!)

She and the girls had set it up and couldn't wait to do their first lemonade stand for Lennon-aid.  I texted her and told her to make sure to tell me when they did, so I could come try their lemonade and make a donation in memory of Rowan and Lennon.  She said "deal"!  Then...she started freaking out, texting me like crazy because of something that happened at that moment...a HUGE orange dragonfly landed by the stand!  She tried desperately to get a photo as it came and went, but she was unable to.  She told me that she had never seen an orange dragonfly, until that morning, just like she had never seen a bright pink dragonfly until one started to visit her after Lennon went to heaven.  And you may remember that I had a bright blue dragonfly stay with me for over an hour at the cemetery just a couple weeks ago when I was journaling to Rowan about Lennon's angel-versary, and another blue one visit me here at the house as I cleaned the stand up to give to them.


  We just cannot deny that these are signs from our sweet angels.  I never used to see dragonflies, but since I started getting this lemonade stand ready to give to Marci and her girls, they have been present...for myself and for Marci.  Thank you Lennon.  Thank you Rowan.  Keep them coming...pink, orange, blue, any color you choose.  It helps us feel your presence here on this side of the veil.  

Marci, I pray you and your family enjoy this lemonade stand for many years to come, that you raise lots of money for your charity Lennon-aid, that you make as many beautiful memories as we did.  Rowan's ginger lemonade recipe card used to say "if life gives you lemons, sell lemonade to help others"... but I love how you see it too... that we both "took the sourest lemon life has to offer and will turn it in to something resembling lemonade."  

Love you and yours!  This stand belongs to you now.


  I pray it gets visited by dragonflies again and again... until we are all reunited in heaven.

  As I learned from you... we are one day closer.



No comments:

Post a Comment