"Our Little Trooper"

"Our Little Trooper"
"Let me live, that I may praise you!" Psalm 119:175

Friday, April 6, 2018

Little boys should not have to play on their friends graves, but I am blessed that he did...



Rowan's SDS buddy Roman, is just 3 1/2 years old.  He loves trucks of all kinds...and I mean LOVES trucks.  He carries them around in his backpack, in search of any dirt pile he can find.  He has excavators, front end loaders, back hoes, dump trucks, you name it.

Yesterday, since Roman and his family were in town, we met for breakfast and then went out to the cemetery to visit Rowan's grave together.  It's always bittersweet being out there with others.  I am blessed that they haven't forgotten my beautiful angel, but it makes me wish he was there with us physically too.

We laid out blankets, around Rowan's gravesite, and started chatting. 



Roman laid the gorgeous orange flowers his Mom had brought on Rowan's grave and I helped him arrange them there with the sunflowers I had brought. 




Within minutes Roman pulled out his "diggers" and started playing in the dirt covering Rowan's grave.  His parents of course immediately tried to stop him, and redirect him.  It made me tear up, but I told them, "it's ok, let him play, Rowan would want him to".  Roman's Mom and I agreed that Rowan was probably laughing down from heaven.  




It was breathtakingly shocking and beautiful at the same time, watching a beautiful little boy playing on his friend's grave.  I took multiple pictures of that moment though, because it was so special.

As you know, Rowan dreamed of playing tag in heaven with his friends who passed before him.  He visited their graves often.  It brought him joy.  Roman was experiencing some of that joy too.  He was able to play there, not sit and cry.  Now I realize he is young, and playing is what 3 year olds do...but trust me when I say, it was a beautiful, precious, priceless, poignant moment...and it will shape who he becomes as he grows up.


Kenny, our new friend from Amazon who we surprised the day before, joined us out at the cemetery too. 


It was his first time visiting Rowan.  His presence brought even more peace and love to the gathering.  We all sat there for a couple hours, telling Rowan stories and watching Roman play.





As if the day weren't beautiful enough, Nicole, Roman's Mom noticed a white fluffy dandelion near Rowan's grave. 



There weren't any others that we could see anywhere!  All the rest were still fresh and yellow.   It was a sign from Rowan.  Remember, Rowan wished on a dandelion the first day he met Roman, he wished that he and all his other friends would be healed.  Nicole picked the dandelion and we all taught Roman how to blow a dandelion into the wind. 



Another priceless moment.

Thank you Kenny, Nicole, Peter, Roman...and Rowan, for a day I'll always remember and for your friendship that I know will never end.


1 comment:

  1. That was so beautiful. I would love to go visit Rowans grave one day.

    ReplyDelete