"Our Little Trooper"

"Our Little Trooper"
"Let me live, that I may praise you!" Psalm 119:175

Saturday, April 2, 2016

"It's actually the best feeling..."

The Guardians of the Children Von Ormy hosted their 8th Annual Fiesta Party/Children's Fair today on the west side of San Antonio.  They had free music, face painting, coloring, games, food and drinks, tractor pulled train rides, and so much more.  The biggest part of the event was the bike raffle.  They had around 75 brand new kid's bikes being raffled off.  Talk about excitement and smiles from kids of all ages!

Since Rowan was made an honorary "Lil Guardian" member last month, he has been so excited to have an opportunity to wear his leather vest, with his road name "HOPE" on it, and to stand with his brothers, and serve the community.  



Today was that day.  The whole way there, he kept saying, "I can't believe this is my first official GOC job", "I finally get to help the Guardians help other kids" or "Yes, my first real volunteer job as HOPE!"  We talked about the bike raffle on the way too, and he wanted to stop and buy a bike to donate to the raffle as well.  He picked out an awesome Avengers boy's bike and wheeled it in to the event proudly...


 He placed the bike up front with the rest of the other donated bikes...



Inside the event, it was awesome...











Such an amazing kid friendly, kid focused event.  With lots and lots of Guardians and other amazing groups there: from Von Ormy, the Hill Country, and San Antonio, working together to help under served children in the area.  






April is Child Abuse Awareness month, so this was also a perfect way for them to raise awareness and show their support for children in the community.  Rowan and I were very privileged to be a part of today's festivities.

Before we left, Rowan spotted a little boy on the playground.  This little boy happened to be the one who won a bike in the raffle, and chose the Avengers bike that Rowan himself had donated.  Rowan just stared and stared at that little boy riding the bike around the playground, and he smiled the entire time he watched him.  Someone suggested he get his picture taken with the boy who won the bike, so Rowan asked me if he could go the boys parents if that would be ok.  Rowan approached the family and sweetly said, "Excuse me...I donated that bike, and I'm so glad your son won it.  Could I get my picture taken with him and the bike?"  The family said yes, and thanked Rowan, and I got this picture...



As we walked to the car, Rowan said "It's such a good feeling to give someone something...it's actually the best feeling."  I told Rowan how proud I was of him, for picking out, purchasing and donating the bike, and how I was even more proud of how much it warmed his heart to give."  Then I started thinking...Rowan does not even own a bike of his own.  He wants to.  He even has it on his bucket list to learn to ride a two wheel bike.  But, he has never ridden one himself, not even with training wheels.  But you know what, he didn't ask me to keep the one we bought today, he didn't ask me to buy one for him today when we were at the store, he didn't ask me if he could sign up for the bike raffle, and he didn't once look sad or forlorn watching 75+ other kids go up and choose their brand new free bikes.  Nope, instead he smiled from ear to ear, watched other kids ride bikes, played tag with some new friends on the playground, and thoroughly enjoyed himself.  That was a "Proud Momma Moment", and Rowan is right..."It IS such a good feeling to give someone something...it IS actually the best feeling."  

Thank you Guardians of the Children for all you do for the children in this community, the abused, neglected, impoverished, under-served, and all the others that you are setting the example for!  You are touching more lives than you know...ours included!  

Just look at the smile on Rowan's face, the whole time...







Thank you so much Danny "Bootlegger" Lopez, and all of your Guardian's of the Children Family.  Rowan is so happy to be among you, to stand beside you, to serve, and especially, to give...


No comments:

Post a Comment