"Our Little Trooper"

"Our Little Trooper"
"Let me live, that I may praise you!" Psalm 119:175

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Happy Valentine's Day in Heaven Chrissie..."Thank you for helping me again...I couldn't do it without you."

As most of you know, Rowan just got discharged from the hospital after a long 19 day stay.
He went in by ambulance from his regular infusion clinic appointment, septic from a life threatening bacterial blood infection.  




After 3 days in PICU on an iv dopamine drip to keep his blood pressure up, Rowan started to improve and was about to get discharged after 7 days, when he suddenly started getting septic again, this time with yeast in his blood.  Over the next few days he underwent surgery number 70 and 71, to remove his infected central line and then to place a new temporary line.





Finally after 19 days, Rowan was well enough to get discharged home on IV anti-fungals.
He was so happy, he cried happy tears when the nurse brought the discharge paperwork.




As he and I were leaving the hematology/oncology department on the 4th floor, on Valentine's Day, as we headed to the elevators, Rowan said: "Mom! Can I go see Chrissie's Memory Leaf...Please?!"
Of course I said yes, so we headed downstairs to the 3rd floor.

As soon as we got there, Rowan knew right where her leaf was. He went straight to it and pointed at her name on her leaf, as he always does.



He turned to me with tears in his eyes and said "Thank you Mommy! I needed to tell her Happy Valentine's Day, and to thank her for helping me get out of here again. I can't do it without her."


Of course I bawled my eyes out.  Such a special moment, at an even more special memory wall, in the hospital that he and Chrissie had their first meeting/spiritual encounter.


It always gives him such comfort to go search out her leaf, find it, point it out...


...blow it kisses...


...give her his love...


And most importantly, to say a special prayer for his girlfriend in Heaven, Christyn Joy Patterson.
I don't even have to ask him to or remind him to...he wants to, needs to...


Thank you Lord for bringing Rowan through yet another serious medical trial,
and more importantly, for never letting him forget that you did, and that others didn't.  He cherishes life so much, tells us daily how much he loves his life.  I often think it may be because he has experienced loss at such a young age, of friends at an equally young age.  But no matter what the reason, I thank God for his appreciation and respect for life...and for death.

Happy Valentine's Day 2015 Chrissie!






No comments:

Post a Comment