"Our Little Trooper"

"Our Little Trooper"
"Let me live, that I may praise you!" Psalm 119:175

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

She said Yes! But not about what you think...

I received a call from Seattle Cancer Care Alliance yesterday, informing me that the doctors have decided to proceed with HLA typing for Rowan, Zoe and Ian.  They needed medical history for Zoe and Ian to get the orders started.  The woman explained to me what would be involved for Zoe or Ian, should one of them be the best match for Rowan.  Whomever is the best match, and consents to being Rowan's bone marrow donor, would have to travel to Seattle for a 3 day stay initially, then come back home for 2 weeks, and return for another 8 day stay.  They would have their own medical workup first and give blood samples, and then the bone marrow samples would be taken next.  We've discussed this possibility with Zoe and Ian a little bit already, but it was still an unsettling call.  When I hung up, I explained everything to Brian and to Rowan's home nurse Cindy.  My mind started racing, and I have to admit that I started temporarily freaking out, wondering: Is this really it?  Was it really time already? Are we sure about this? etc.  Not Rowan though.  No, Rowan simply clasped his hands, squinted his eyes, tilted his face up to the ceiling and whispered "please, please, please".  I was shocked.  I asked him, "Rowan, what was that? Are you saying please, as in please you want it to be time for a transplant?"  He said, "No, I was asking God for Ian to be my match."  When we asked him why he wanted it to be Ian, he said "I just want it to be my brother, because I know Zoe is really afraid of pokes.  I don't want her to have to go through all that.  Well, I don't want either of them to have to do it, but I really don't want to Zoe to be afraid." 

...Even in potentially life changing moments like this, this kid is thinking of others.  Remarkable.

I talked to the Doctor in Seattle some more last night, and their transplant board is meeting about Rowan's case this week.  We really would appreciate prayers for them to make the best, clear decisions for Rowan.  They have had ongoing concerns since he still has gotten septic, and been battling the g-tube site infection and now RSV, even though we have been doing these much more intense immune modulating treatments of the daily neupogen and ivig every 2 weeks.  They feel like he should be doing better, staying healthier.  She assured me that she would be in touch and that once they have the results back from the kids HLA typing, which takes a couple of weeks, they will have a plan.  So, for now, we wait, but things definitely just got a little more real.

When Zoe got home late last night, Rowan and I talked to her about this all.  He told her he didn't want her to have to do it, since she was afraid of pokes, but asked her if should would do it if she had to be the one.  She told him that she would do it even if it hurt, if she was the best match.  It was surreal.  You shouldn't have to watch your 8 year old talking to his 20 year old sister, asking her to make choices to improve, and potentially save, his life.  I had to just take it all in and capture the moment for what it was...and thank God that I have children who care about each other more than they care about themselves.

After Zoe left the room, Rowan had tears in his eyes and I asked him if he was ok,  He said, "Yeah, I just can't believe Zoe and Ian would do this for me.  And I really just wish it didn't have to hurt them. I'm used to pain.  I can take it, but it's not fair for them."

Wow...we can really learn from this kid's selflessness, I know I am...




No comments:

Post a Comment